© 2010 WHPU
1. All lofts competing in races with Club, Federations, National and Combines under the auspices of the Welsh Homing Pigeon Union
shall have their loft positions determined by the Global Positioning System (GPS). All distances thereafter to be calculated to
the latitude and longitude of the loft position obtained.
2. All Welsh Homing Pigeon Union Members, Clubs, Federations and Combines must have all race distances calculated by the Welsh
Homing Pigeon Union Global Positiong System (GPS)
(b) The Welsh Homing Pigeon Union disallows duplication from races flown under the Auspices of any other regulatory body, back
into The Welsh Homing Pigeon Union or from a Welsh Homing Pigeon Union Affiliated Club, Federation or Combines, to any other
3. In produce races and stakes flown on similar lines it shall be deemed to be the RING and not the BIRD that is entered.
4. No unringed bird shall be flown in any race or exhibited in any show held by or under the Rules of the Union. Split rings are
classified as unrung.
5. It shall be the duty of each Affiliated Society to ensure that each Member's birds when entered for any race are either wing
stamped with the Official Club stamp, a personal stamp or a closed name and address ring/telephone number split ring/ETS sticker.
Disciplinary action will be taken against individual Members and any Society not complying with this Rule. SPOT CHECKS BY UNION
COUNCILLORS OR FEDERATION OFFICIALS MAY BE CARRIED OUT AT MEMBER SOCIETIES TO ENSURE ADHERENCE TO THIS RULE.
6. All birds competing in a Race will be race marked with rubber rings approved by the Union. No Member shall be allowed to race
mark or basket his own birds and a minimum of four (4) Member Lofts must present at race marking and basketing of birds. After
baskets have been sealed there must be a minimum of two (2) Member Lofts to ensure control and security of birds until despatch.
7. Birds competing in races must be ringed with recognised Union rings and registered in the books of the appropriate Union and
must be the bonafide property of the Members entering them and registered with the appropriate Union in his/her or their
names. All birds must fly to a Member's loft and be shown, if requested, to two (2) Members of the Committee at any time within
three (3) days of the race date. Said parties to have the right to toss the birds 100 yards from the loft and to see if it re-enters the
8. All birds will be conveyed at Owner's risk and no bird suffering from disease, disablement or vermin of any kind will be allowed in
basket. The decision of Basket Committee as appointed at the Annual General Meeting to be final.
9. Prizes will be awarded on the system of velocity proper. The bird flying the greatest number of yards or fractional parts of a yard
per minute shall be declared the winner.
10. In arriving at the best average velocity, the total distance flown and the total time occupied by each competitor's first bird in each
race to be taken, and the average velocity calculated from such time and distance. Any competitor failing to time in from any one
race cannot qualify for Club Averages except in the case of a race where no competitors time an arrival, in which case the race will
be disregarded for average purposes. When a programme cannot be completed through unforeseen circumstances, this Rule is to
be applied. All average trophies and special prizes unless otherwise stated to be flown in accordance with this Rule.
11. Only Members entering birds for competition in every declared race of that category of the race programme (i.e. Young Birds, Old
Birds, Scottish, Land Average, etc), shall be entitled to compete for average prizes on the basis that the only races in which he has
failed to enter pigeons have subsequently for whatever reason been declared void.
12. In the event of there being fewer birds timed in than there are prizes, the prizes not won shall be equally divided amongst the
birds timed in.
13. Any objections to the Race Result must be made to the Secretary in writing within seven (7) days of publication. Where prizes or
pool money are paid out and errors are discovered, all monies thus paid out must be refunded.
14. Should any bird arrive without a Race Rubber the bird will be disqualified from taking any position in that Race.
15. All Race and Pool Sheets must be written in ink or indelible pencil stating full ring particulars, colour and sex.
16. Club Secretaries unless otherwise stated shall retain under seal all Race Sheets and Race Ring Duplicates with the exception of
their own, which shall be held by the President or other nominee of the Club appointed to do so.
17. Race to close when velocity reaches 220 yards per minute.
18. Federation and Societies must insert on Race Sheets, outside number of rubber ring or rings.
19. Duplicate of rubber rings shall be retained until the Annual General Meeting of the Union.
20. Federation and Societies shall be responsible for retaining race sheets for a minimum period of one year.
21. In races of two or more days, Federations must declare "Hours of Darkness". Old Birds: 10.30p.m. to 4.30a.m: Young Birds: 8.00p.m.
to 7.00a.m. Race to close 8.00p.m. on the first day. Race to open at 7.00a.m. on the second day.
22. The Queen's Cup, Prince of Wales (Best Performance Cup opposite route to Queens). T G Buffet Trophy (runner up to Queens),
W G Bowen Sprint Cup (races flown up to 300 miles) J O Davies Cup (Young Bird cup), selection of the Winners for the
aforementioned Cups be carried out by an outside body. All performances for the Union Trophies must be flown under Welsh
Homing Pigeon Union Rules. With regard to the Queen's Cup, T.G. Buffet Memorial Trophy and Prince of Wales Trophy, performance
qualification must be races of 300 miles or over. Queen's Cup -sent performance(s) over 300 miles under WHPU miles. Winners of
these Cups and Trophies are responsible for their return to the Secretary of the Welsh Homing Pigeon Union on or before the first
day of October following the presentation. Failure to do so will result in the cost of collection (in the sum not exceeding £25) being
charged to the Member failing to return the same in accordance with the provisions of this Rule, and in the event of such sum not
being paid within twenty-eight (28) days of demand being made, the Council shall have the right to suspend such Member from the
privileges of the Welsh Homing Pigeon Union until such time as this sum shall have been paid in full.
23. That all Member Organisations i.e. Federations, Amalgamations, Combines, etc., Affiliated to the Welsh Homing Pigeon Union must
submit to the Welsh Homing Pigeon Union Secretary not later than 1st March, each year a full race programme. This to include
proposed sites, dates and times of liberation, as well as a contact telephone number of Secretary/Race Controller. Failure to do so
could forfeit the Organisation's right to compete in the said season until such time as the afore-mentioned details are provided.